Saturday, April 23, 2011

Teesri Kassam: Pahli Kassam

If you love someone let him go. If he comes back then he is yours forever and if he doesn't then you STALK.
I impatiently looked at the watch; 1:25 P.M.; 5 more minutes if train starts on time. I missed India a lot in last six months. 

“Bhaiya, Saharsa jane mein kitna samay lagega?” I asked a chai wala next to my window.
“Jyada der lagega to udd kar jaoge kya?” I was tired from 11 hour flight and his sense of humor was irritating me, but I smiled back as he and his customers were laughing at his comment.
“4 ghanta lagta hai, arram se khate peete jao.”
“Excuse me, that’s my seat.”
“Oh, sorry.”
She was beautiful and I was thunderstruck. Though I was sure that was my seat, I moved to the empty seat next to it. I thought, may be journey won’t be boring after all. Chai wala was cruelly smiling at me and singing “Yun hi kat jayega safar saath ….” when train started creeping on the platform.

By the time I decided what would be my conversation starter; she was already busy reading Fountainhead. I had seen it under “Best booksellers Category" in book agency at Melbourne airport. I always find these book agencies at airport handy, as I can pass hours just flicking through books and updating myself to new releases without spending any money.

“Good book.”
“Have you read it?”
“I am planning to read it on my flight back to Melbourne.” I emphasized on Melbourne.
“Which is your favorite book?”
“Umm.., Harry Potter.” I grinned.
“So, not much of a reader, I guess.” She was smiling. “Do not say that J. K. Rowling is your favorite author.” She closed her book. “So, what is new in Australia? I could not ignore the force you put behind Melbourne.”

She was laughing and I was grinning shamelessly. It was not the first impression I wanted but at least she was talking. 
“I just wanted to talk to you and I was not sure how to start. I hope you did not mind. So, where are you going?”
“Do not worry, I understand. I am going to Madhepura. What about you?”
“Me too.”
That is the stop after Saharsa. An extra hour won’t hurt. I will catch a taxi at Madhepura station to my place. I can definitely say, she was screwing with my thought process.

Later she told me that she was studying commerce from Patna University. She liked reading books and listening music. She was enjoying her studies at university. She also asked me a lot of question about life style in Australia and my college life at IIT Kanpur. Saharsa came and went. For the first time, I wished somebody could pull the chain and delay the train. I needed to ask her number, but how was haunting me.

“So, any special reason to come to India?”
I knew what she meant [:)]. “No, just to catch up with family and friends.”
“Good. You know I got engaged last week. He is a doctor. He proposed me…” I had already stopped listening. How much she talks. Can’t I have little peace for a while? Great, now she was showing me his pictures.
“So, what do you think?”
“He seems good. Can you tell me how long will it take to reach Madhepura from now?”
“20 mins.”
She opened her book again as I kept gazing the fields. I should have alighted at Saharsa, I thought.

She started packing her belongings as train entered the terminal. I just felt bad for my unreasonable behavior.
“I am sorry.” I said.
“That is OK. I am sorry too. I should not have told you about my fiancee after you missed your stop for me.” She was smiling again. “I heard you talking to chai wala. Didn’t you wanted to go Saharsa? Taxi for Saharsa leaves from just outside station exit.”
She handed Fountainhead to me and said, “I have already read it. It is a good book. I hope you will enjoy it and have a good trip.”

I walked towards exit thinking what just happened.
“Bhaiya, Saharsa jana hai. Kitna loge?”
He was playing “Ham to hue barbad kisi se hai…”.
I requested him to turn off the music as I pledged it is not going to happen ever again.